Owyhee River Fly Fishing
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO FISH THE OWYHEE RIVER
At Three Rivers Ranch, we have boots, waders, rods, and reels all available for rental. We have various fly fishing gear from clothing including shirts, pants, sandals, and waders available for purchase. In addition, we have sunscreen and a few other miscellaneous items you may have forgotten, available for purchase. Don’t forget to stop by our shop and load up on the flies you’ll need, don’t hesitate to ask our knowledgeable fly shop guides, chances are they were out fishing yesterday or that morning.
View, download, or print our FREE Owyhee River Gear Checklist PDF.
- Oregon Fishing License (12 years +). Available for purchase at our Boise shop or online (2019 Free Fishing Days)
- Rods: For the Owyhee a 4-6wt rod will work great.
- Reel: Bring 1 reel with an extra spool. We recommend a weight forward floating line for dry fly fishing and an intermediate sinking line for streamer fishing.
- Leaders: the best all-around leader size is 9f, 4x – 6x
- Tippet: It is always a good idea to have tippet ranging from 2x – 6x in your pack. This way you can build your own leaders if needed.
- Waders: We have waders available for rent however, if you have your own, bring them along. You will meet with your guide in the morning and he or she will let you know if it is necessary to bring your waders along or if you need to rent any for that day. In the summer months, there are great opportunities for wet wading. This is a tailwater, so river temperatures are consistently cold as…
- Wading Boots – If you’re traveling in from other states, make sure to clean them well and dry them off completely. Avoid the transfer of invasive species.
- Nippers: It is always a great idea to pack two, just in case you lose one to the river.
- Forceps: Great for pinching those barbs.
- Sunglasses: Make sure they are polarized, it is crucial for cutting out the glare from the sun. Amber is generally the best overall lens color.
- Split shot (non-lead)
- Indicators (if nymphing)
- Day Pack
- Wading staff
- Flies: The type of flies you should have in your box will vary depending on the time of year your trip is. Be sure to take a look at our Owyhee River Hatch Chart or give one of our fly shops a shout and we will be able to help you decide what bugs you should have on hand.
- Rain Jacket (always have this with you)
- Synthetic quick drying long sleeved and short sleeved sun shirt (spf 15+)
- Synthetic quick drying pants and shorts
- Lightweight non-cotton socks
- Hat and a ski-cap
- Fleece (wind breaking) jacket
- Sun Gloves / Winter Gloves
- Insect repellent
- Water bottle
- Digital camera
- Memory Cards
- Waterproof phone case
- Personal medical supplies and prescriptions
- Corrective lenses
- Lip balm